I have hammered at this for a while and found a pretty hacky work around for the time being.
i copied all of the “config/.kodi/addon” contents to a folder
then I mapped a volume to “/config/.kodi/addons” to that new version of “addons”
i then copied the dependencies and artwork beef addon folders to this new addons folder listed below
moving to the webgui i used the “lab” and api actions to enable each of these dependencies and then finally artwork beef. (its a good idea to watch a debug log as you do this process.)
once i enabled each addon and artwork beef, i copied the settings.xml from a working / completly setup instance on a different machine to the “addon_data/script.artwork.beef”. (Keep in mind there is no way to display progress or notifications so be sure to turn these off when you set up artwork beef)
then i restarted the container to ensure everything loaded up while looking at the debug logs.
crossing my fingers, i docker-compose down headless-kodi then docker-compose up -d headless-kodi and then loaded up my debug logs again. everything loaded up!!
last test. i forced a tv show to download and to be scanned into the library. artwork beef is configured to run after a library update so i waited. finally saw some activity and for now, it works.
i can imagine this will break on major version updates since i have no way to update the addons.
Hope this helps someone out!!