Docker compose volume mount - no existing config files

I’m running into an interesting problem trying to get a plex container up and running. Below is my compose file and server specs. Essentially, I have the config volume mounted to a volume on my server, but when I get the server running and look for my libraries, the tv and movies directories don’t exist in the container. And when I look from the server side in the config directory, there’s nothing inside of it even though the container sees all its configuration files. Any ideas?

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Docker version 24.0.7
Dell Optiplex 7020
Intel i5-4590
Nvidia Quadro M2000

Compose File

what are the outputs of docker exec -it plex_test1 ls -lan /config what is the output of ls -lan /home/jjnether/docker/plex_test1/config

Thanks for the reply. Here are the outputs:

docker exec -it plex_test1 ls -lan /config
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 1000 1000 4096 Feb 2 23:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 4096 Feb 2 23:25 …
drwxr-xr-x 3 1000 1000 4096 Feb 2 23:24 Library

docker exec -it plex_test1 ls -lan /config
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 1000 1000 4096 Feb 1 23:15 .
drwxrwxr-x 5 1000 1000 4096 Feb 1 21:50 …

something is fishy with your paste, please redo the commands and provide the output

Thanks for the reply, but I’m not sure how to get what you want for the output. This is what I’m seeing.

what you show there is different from what you show above , just compare the two :stuck_out_tongue:

is any part of /home/jjnether/docker/plex_test1/config a usb drive or a remote mount

Ahh ok sorry about that. And yeah, /home/jjnether/docker is remote mounted through SMB. Is that a problem?

we do not support our /config mounts on file-based remote mounts. (which smb and nfs would be) mostly because /config is where we usually keep the app databases and databases do not support file based remote mounts.

in your case, docker is probably starting before your mount is mounted, which is why you see data inside the container and not outside the container. if you fix that you’ll see the data consistently, though you will still be using an unsupported setup.

Ahh ok I appreciate it, I’ll see what I can do!

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.