Enabling Intel Low-Power H.264 hardware encoder in Jellyfin

Hi. I just deployed LinuxServer’s Jellyfin. Hardware acceleration pretty much worked out of the box, which is awesome as compared to what I gather needs to be done when using the official image (lots of manual steps).

Is it also possible to enable Intel Low-Power H.264 hardware encoder? According to Jellyfin’s documentation, some setting up is required (Debian/Ubuntu: Brainiarc7’s gist) but since I’m running TrueNAS Scale, where interacting with the system is not recommended, I was wondering if this is something that already works out of LinuxServer’s image, can already be enabled, or will be implemented in the future.

I did try enabling it in Jellyfin’s settings, but my videos wouldn’t play, suggesting that it is not set-up.

In any case, despite warnings, I did try the instructions provided by Brainiarc7 and some files were missing from the system anyway so I decided not to further pursue it.

$ sudo update-initramfs -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.79+truenas
grep: /etc/initramfs-tools/modules: No such file or directory
cryptsetup: ERROR: Couldn't resolve device boot-pool/ROOT/22.12.0
cryptsetup: WARNING: Couldn't determine root device
$ update-grub
-bash: update-grub: command not found

UPDATE: It appears you made this thread PRIOR to posting in discord. My apologies, I should have checked!

I’m a bit unclear why you opened a thread in our #container-support discord, where we told you truenas scale is not supported or tested on and clarified that your issue does not present in docker, then you decided to post in container-support here on discourse… the answer remains the same.

You’re welcome to ask in #other-support on discord for best effort help, but we do not support truenas scale, we do not test on truenas scale, we do not publish templates on truenas scale and everything works fine on what we support.

While our discord #other-support is fine, I would instead suggest you seek help from truenas scale forums/discord or perhaps from brainiarc7 that you mentioned above.