Errors in Beets docker container log

Hi, I have some errors after creating a Beets container using the following docker compose file in Portainer on OMV.

version: “2.1”
services:
beets:
image: ghcr.io/linuxserver/beets
container_name: beets
environment:
- PUID=1000
- PGID=100
- TZ=Europe/London
volumes:
- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-fe67e6c5-4649-4be6-b3cc-95368193db33/appdata/beets/config:/config
- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-ebe1edad-4a15-4064-b2ad-f2e30c8fbbde/beets_output:/music
- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-ebe1edad-4a15-4064-b2ad-f2e30c8fbbde/music:/downloads
ports:
- 8337:8337
restart: unless-stopped

These are the errors:
get_path_formats(),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/ui/init.py”, line 619, in get_path_formats,
path_formats.append((query, template(view.as_str()))),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/util/functemplate.py”, line 571, in template,
return Template(fmt),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/util/functemplate.py”, line 581, in init,
self.compiled = self.translate(),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/util/functemplate.py”, line 614, in translate,
func = compile_func(,
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/util/functemplate.py”, line 155, in compile_func,
prog = compile(mod, ‘’, ‘exec’),
ValueError: Name node can’t be used with ‘None’ constant,
Traceback (most recent call last):,
File “/usr/bin/beet”, line 33, in ,
sys.exit(load_entry_point(‘beets==1.4.9’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘beet’)()),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/ui/init.py”, line 1266, in main,
_raw_main(args),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/ui/init.py”, line 1249, in _raw_main,
subcommands, plugins, lib = _setup(options, lib),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/ui/init.py”, line 1144, in _setup,
lib = _open_library(config),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/ui/init.py”, line 1201, in _open_library,
get_path_formats(),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/ui/init.py”, line 619, in get_path_formats,
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/util/functemplate.py”, line 571, in template,
return Template(fmt),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/util/functemplate.py”, line 581, in init,
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/util/functemplate.py”, line 614, in translate,
func = compile_func(,
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/util/functemplate.py”, line 155, in compile_func,
_raw_main(args),
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/ui/init.py”, line 1249, in _raw_main,
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/beets/ui/init.py”, line 1201, in _open_library,
get_path_formats(),
return Template(fmt),
func = compile_func(,
_raw_main(args),
get_path_formats(),
return Template(fmt),
func = compile_func(,
_raw_main(args),
get_path_formats(),
return Template(fmt),
func = compile_func(,

I’ve ensured the user related to the PUID and GUID in the compose file exists and has ownership of the directories.

I’m at a loss and not sure what else I can check, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

The current release of Beets is incompatible with the version of Python in the container. If you use the nightly tag for the container it works.

See Update to python 3.8.10 breaks image on Raspberry Pi · Issue #80 · linuxserver/docker-beets · GitHub

Thanks, but problem remains.

I tried using the nightly build by updating the docker compose file with the nightly tag and I got the same errors.

I removed all beets images and pulled the nightly build but still got the same errors.

I’m going through the comments in Issue #80 to see what/if I’ve missed something.

I’ve looked through the comments in Issue #80 but not found anything that helps me with running a Beets docker image without the above errors on an x86 platform.

@trolley I’m not running this on a Raspberry Pi, if that’s relevant to the advice you offered.

I’m not either. I’m on Ubuntu 20.04. All I had to do to fix it was add :nightly to image in my config and run compose again.

Perhaps the problem is specific to Portainer on OMV. I’ve updated OMV and pulled the nighly build of beets and no luck. Guess I’ll have to work around it.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

I’m wondering if anyone has got the beets docker image working within OMV. If they have then I’ll persevere

omv is just debian which we test all our images on, since you mention you run portainer, that is probably your issue. Use docker-compose or docker cli and it will likely work for you. We do not support or recommend portainer for deployment of our images at all.