Fatal glibc error: CPU does not support x86-64-v2

Hi!
A Mysql container is throwing this error and doesn’t start:

Fatal glibc error: CPU does not support x86-64-v2

It’s running on a Debian 11 server and used together with Piwigo.

The cpu seems to support sse2:

gustavo@srv2:~/docker/piwigo$ sudo grep -o sse2 /proc/cpuinfo
sse2
sse2

The container is declared in this docker compose yaml:

gustavo@srv2:~/docker/piwigo$ cat docker-compose.yaml
---
version: "3.0"
services:
  db:
    image: mysql:latest
    container_name: piwigo_db_1
    restart: unless-stopped
    environment:
      MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: <>
      MYSQL_DATABASE: <>
      MYSQL_USER: <>
      MYSQL_PASSWORD: <>
    volumes:
      - /home/gustavo/.config/piwigo/db:/var/lib/mysql

piwigo:
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/piwigo
    container_name: piwigo
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
      - TZ=America/Sao_Paulo
    volumes:
      - /home/gustavo/.config/piwigo/config:/config
      - /home/gustavo/.config/piwigo/gallery:/gallery
#      - /home/gustavo/media/fotos/Media:/pictures:ro
#      - /home/gustavo/media/fotos/Media:/pictures
      - /home/gustavo/media/fotos/Media/Publicadas:/pictures
    ports:
      - 8081:80
    depends_on:
      - "db"
    restart: unless-stopped

networks:
  default:
    external: true
    name: swag_default

I appreciate if someone can help me solving this problem.

After reading this thread, I suspect that my hardware isn’t compatible anymore :cry:

According to this Wiki article, x86-64-v2 doesn’t mean sse2, but a couple of features, like SSE4_1 and 4_2…

… who aren’t supported by my cpu:

gustavo@srv2:~/docker/piwigo$ sudo cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm xsave lahf_lm pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority vpid dtherm
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm xsave lahf_lm pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority vpid dtherm

I’m really sad that I won’t be able anymore to self-host these and other containers I have due to old hardware…

EDIT: If there was a way to opt-out from sse4…

there isn’t and you will find that more and more applications are discarding support for ancient hardware to reduce support complexity. It’s time to upgrade.

1 Like

Sad to hear it, and I say this from a home user perspective, one that hasn’t enough budget to comply with the latest standards, on one side, but at the same time, one that spends most of his free time trying to get rid of major tech giants, by self-hosting his “own” services…

Somehow this goes against the impression I got that FOSS, among other things, doesn´t put you in the race to get the latest fancy gadget…

Please, don’t take me wrong, I’m not ranting at you or anyone else, I’m just really sad that my efforts to free from Big Tech will get a major backlash - and that I will have to spend extra $$$, either by upgrading hardware or hosting those services in the cloud…

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

no one is forcing you to use the latest, but why would you expect developers to support something 20+ yrs old? mariadb is providing the stuff for free and the change reduces their complexity significantly.

either way, it’s out of our hands as we are not the devs. Strictly speaking, a 35$ raspi can run this stuff fine, so consider how much your old hardware costs in electricity :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like