Getting qbittorrent to work with PIA VPN

Hey all, I subscribed to PIA last night, so on a whim I’m trying to figure out how I can get JUST my qbittorrent container to go through it without all the traffic on my NAS being routed through it.

Here’s the docker-compose snippet:

qbittorrent:
    image: ghcr.io/linuxserver/qbittorrent
    container_name: qbittorrent
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
    devices:
      - /dev/net/tun:/dev/net/tun
    environment:
      - PUID=${PUID}
      - PGID=${PGID}
      - TZ=${TZ}
      - UMASK_SET=022
      - WEBUI_PORT=8085
      - DOCKER_MODS=taisun/config-mods:pia
      - PIAUSER=${PIA_USER}
      - PIAPASS=${PIA_PASSWORD}
      - PIAENDPOINT=${PIA_SERVER}
    volumes:
      - ./qbittorrent:/config
      - /volume1/downloads:/downloads
      - /volume1/media:/media
    ports:
      - 51413:51413
      - 51413:51413/udp
      - 8085:8085
    restart: unless-stopped

Everything seems fine, but when I go to look at the logs, I see an endless amount of blocks like this:

2023-06-19 16:59:39 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: us-newyorkcity.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 (Name has no usable address)
2023-06-19 16:59:39 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: us-newyorkcity.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 (Name has no usable address)
2023-06-19 16:59:39 Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol
2023-06-19 16:59:39 SIGUSR1[soft,Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol] received, process restarting

Furthermore, running:

docker exec qbittorrent curl -sL ifconfig.me

shows me my WAN IP.

The above was using US New York City as the endpoint, but I get basically the same if I use US Atlanta.

Hopefully the issue is something pretty simple, can anyone advise?

Thanks

The most hasn’t be build for 4 years, so they’re likely not going to work as a lot has changed in our images since then.

Ah. That would explain it. I just found a forum post on it and it seemed to be a pretty easy solution.

Any idea for an alternative manner to achieve what I’m trying to do? I’d like to keep using the LSIO image for qbittorrent, but if I have to switch to another one that has a VPN bundled in with it or something I might do that.

I do not use PIA, but the New York VPN server seems to be at us-newyorkcity.privacy.network not us-newyorkcity.privateinternetaccess.com

That’s probably the docker mod being out of date. I just gave it this:
PIA_SERVER=“US New York City”

I just spent the weekend working this out. I wound up putting a static IP on my container then setting up a WireGuard tunnel on my router and sending all of the traffic for that IP through the tunnel. It was not the easiest thing but now I am getting near wire speed transfers and I can put traffic from any IP I want through the tunnel.

i used gluetun to connect to PIA and then have qbittorrent connect to the gluetun container.

send me a pm and i will share my repo with you for my docker compose.

1 Like

Moltra really need to learn to do what you did with gluetun,PIA, and qbittorent. Please help me