Getting timeouts from medusa/sonarr to my vpn container, but not plex?

I recently set up 3 ls.io containers: sonarr (then killed it and tried medusa), and plex. I am also using haugene for transmission, all containers on the same box.
I’m unable to get to transmission (9091) from either Sonarr or Medusa. I get timeouts. If I connect with “docker exec -it sonarr /bin/bash” (same with medusa) then try to hit 9091 with curl, I get an “operation timed out” after a couple of minutes.I did that with each container, with one running and the other stopped, to prevent any overlap in ports (I don’t remember if they use the same ports but it seemed prudent)
HOWEVER, if I “docker exec -it plex /bin/bash” and then “curl <my server’s ip>:9091”, it works! It also works from a different machine on the same network.
Any help appreciated!

Please provide your docker compose or docker run snippet. If i had to guess (i do because you didnt provide any relevant info) plex is in host mode and sonarr/medusa is not.

Sure. let me know what else you need:

Medusa: (cmd line since I was trying to get it to work first)
docker run -d --name=medusa -e PUID=1001 -e PGID=1001 -e TZ=America/Chicago -p 8081:8081 -v /data/config:/config -v /data/downloads:/downloads -v /data/tv:/tv --restart unless-stopped linuxserver/medusa

Sonarr:

[Unit]
Description=SONARR episode grabber
After=docker.service
Requires=docker.service

[Service]
User=root
TimeoutStartSec=0
ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/docker kill sonarr
ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/docker rm sonarr
ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/docker pull linuxserver/sonarr
ExecStart=/usr/bin/docker run
–name sonarr
-e PUID=1001
-e PGID=1001
-e TZ=America/Chicago
-p 8989:8989
-v /data/config:/config
-v /data/tv:/tv
-v /data/new:/download
–restart unless-stopped
linuxserver/sonarr

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Plex:

[Unit]
Description=PLEX media server
After=docker.service
Requires=docker.service

[Service]
User=root
TimeoutStartSec=0
ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/docker kill plex
ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/docker rm plex
ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/docker pull linuxserver/plex
ExecStart=/usr/bin/docker run
–name plex
–net=host
-e PUID=1001
-e PGID=1001
-e VERSION=docker
-e TZ=America/Chicago
-p 8989:8989
-v /data/config:/config
-v /data/tv:/tv
-v /data/movies:/movies
–restart unless-stopped
linuxserver/plex

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

One other thing to mention: all containers can curl google.com successfully. Not sure if that matters, but looking up host mode it sounded like getting out of the docker containers was an all-or-nothing thing.

Turns out, I’m an idiot, and mistyped the ufw rule for 9091, and that’s why plex could. Rule added, works. thanks!