How to deal with new "unauthorized" fail2ban jail in SWAG

a recent pull request in the SWAG container introduces an nginx-unauthorized fail2ban jail:

in general it seems like a great idea, but I have some trouble tweaking the configurations based on the classic workflow of an authorized HTTP connection.

what I mean is, an authorized user will most often still trigger a 401 line in the logs, will it not?

if I use curl to manually GET/POST the desired URL with the provided authentication, then I will get a correct reply right away, i.e. 200 or so, and that is fine.

if instead I am using a webbrowser, it is my understanding that the browser will:

• first try unauthenticated, thus generating a 401 log line,
  • then see the 401 reply, thus showing a user/pass dialog to the user,
  • finally GET what it was supposed to get, but with proper authentication.

in other words, is there a way to make sure that I personally do not participate in the 401 lines that this new jail is supposed to patrol?

any suggestion is welcome. thanks!

Whitelist your ip.
ignoreip = 192.168.1.0/24 Etc

I have a dynamic IP, so that will not work.

my question is whether it is correct to assume that perfectly authorized clients will inevitably produce 401 lines, too, or whether there is a way around such an issue.

does anyone have any suggestions? as it is, the unauthorized jail is useless and dangerous more than it is useful… for anybody!

i have the same problem. i can’t use photoprism (Docker Hub) with this jail. i log in, switch a path in the application on the subdomain and i am banned. i don’t get why because i don’t know a lot about the configuration of fail2ban. But i’m glad i found this thread and now i have to research how to disable this jail (even on swag container updates) or how to add some headers in the proxy-confs that can change that behaviour or how to whitelist a url?.. no idea.

For now i just added a much higher retry amount in for the nginx-authorized in the jail.local file and mount my custom jail.local in my docker-compose