HTTP Status 404 – Not Found

My controller was running fine until just recently. Now I am greeted with “HTTP Status 404 – Not Found” when I try to access the page. https://IP.lan:8443

Troubleshooting steps I have taken:

• Restarting the container
  • Recreating the container
  • Duplicating the container using a new volume (created for that test)
  • Rebooting the Docker server VM
  • Expanding the VM disk capacity (by double to 40GiB)

Nothing changed.

I’m running out of ideas. I’m still pretty new to Docker, so please bear with me. I am currently trying to manage my containers via Portainer.

Thank you

This is probably a name resolution issue or a port forward issue.
Can you try with IP address instead of IP.lan ?

From the portainer GUI, you should see the container’s stats and details, such as IP address (internal to the container) and any ports forwarded from the host to the container.

Also, I dont think linuxserver officially supports portainer setups.

You may consider a docker-compose.yaml setup and your portainer should still allow you to perform some management over the stack

Of all the… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I just refreshed the page.

After trying to troubleshoot with no success. Only after I make an account and ask for assistance, now it works (with my private domain name).

Hard to troubleshoot when it’s working.

To answer your question, I did also try with the IP address (I also keep bookmarks of those in case of a DNS issue). I was still getting the same error.

As for your suggestion, it looks like Portainer does allow me to create and manage stacks using Docker Compose files. I am still learning to use it, so that is one area I still needs to learn.

I created the container manually, following all of the instructions on the Docker Hub page. So the end result should be the equivalent to the docker-compose shown on the page.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will learn how to use Stacks in Portainer, and use yaml files.

I find it easier to manage with the docker-compose.yaml file and all of the container’s data sitting in a directoty I control rather than handing that over to portainer. I use portainer to visualize and manage some things, but over time I got used to docker-compose.

The reason I say that is because at some point, you’re going to want or need to retain data even when switching images or containers. In that case, portainer will make things more complicated for you (see the ‘volumes’ page there and see if that makes any sense to you)

I just installed the unifi-controller as well and get the “HTTP Status 404 - Not Found”.

I am accessing via https://< local-ip >:8443/

What other troubeshooting options do I have other then restarting / reinstalling? The container itself looks ok and is installed on a Proxmox Server running Debian 11 (bullseye) VM with Portainer.

Ports are configured, logs show:

[migrations] started
[migrations] no migrations found
───────────────────────────────────────
██╗ ███████╗██╗ ██████╗
██║ ██╔════╝██║██╔═══██╗
██║ ███████╗██║██║ ██║
██║ ╚════██║██║██║ ██║
███████╗███████║██║╚██████╔╝
╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝ ╚═════╝
Brought to you by linuxserver.io
To support LSIO projects visit:
Donate | LinuxServer.io
GID/UID
User UID: 1000
User GID: 1000
[custom-init] No custom files found, skipping…
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase (file:/usr/lib/unifi/lib/tomcat-embed-core-9.0.59.jar) to field java.io.ObjectStreamClass$Caches.localDescs
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Ok I mapped a NFS Volume from my TrueNAS server as the “/config” path.

When trying to create a local volume and map that - it works.

So I guess it does not like the NFS share.

Which is weird because all my other containers use NFS shares for volume mapping.

UPDATE:
Ok digging even deeper when assigning PUID = 0 and GUID = 0 (root) in the unifi-controller environment variables it works also with the NFS share.

We do not support config on remote mounts because file based remote mounts (nfs/smb) will lock the db improperly. Config shoud be on a block based remote mount (iscsi/fcoe) or local storage only. Mounts other than /config (or containers with no database) are find on file based remote mounts.

We do not support or recommend portainer for deploying our containers due to the large number of issues it causes for non-experts.

We do not support using a PUID/PGID of 0 because of the security implications but also because in terms of fixing your remote mount, it means you simply didn’t setup nfs correctly.

1 Like

Yes - I moved to local mount now. Thanks for the feedback. It works!