Not able to create cert for Nextcloud

I have used the Nextcloud and Let’s Encrypt containers, I have namecheap as a dns and the ddns set up in my ASUS Merlin router.

Errors I get are:
Challenge failed for domain
DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for mydomain
No valid IP addresses found for myddns
Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

Thoughts/Advice?

I’ve got the cname in namecheap, port forwarded in router, config instructions have been followed for nextcloud, adding the overwrite_url stuff.

Looks like the url you are using does not have the correct A record (points to IP) on your dns provider.

Check here to confirm: https://dnschecker.org/

Or maybe you set it, but it didn’t propagate to other servers yet. If that’s the case, I would recommend moving your nameservers to cloudflare because their dns changes propagate almost immediately

Okay so let’s pretend you are talking to a 5 year old that has a working Nextcloud instance.

How do you go about setting up lets encrypt assuming you have a working ddns? I tried following the readme’s but somehow broke connectivity to emby in the process and had to undo everything I’ve done today to get that back to working order. So yeah I went full retard somehow. I just don’t know what did it…

Can your router update your ip on cloudflare? If so, forget the ddns.

Register a free cloudflare account, it will guide you through moving your name servers there. Then you can easily create an A record that points to your home ip, and a CNAME for “*” which is wildcard and have that point to your A record.

Then follow this guide: https://blog.linuxserver.io/2019/04/25/letsencrypt-nginx-starter-guide/

So one question, if I have to forward the port on the router, how can I have more than one container set up to use ssl?

@aptalca literally linked it in his post. You use a reverse proxy that everything goes through.

I guess I will see once I update Cloudflare. According to the link it still looks like I’m having to use different ports.

Edit. Yup I had to use cloudflare.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.