Permission issues with sonarr

Hi,
Ive followed the guide for sonarr here - https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/sonarr/ and i seem to be running into permission issues inside the container-

docker logs -f sonarr
    -------------------------------------
GID/UID
User uid:    1000
User gid:    1000
usermod: Failed to change ownership of the home directorychown: changing ownership of '/config': Permission denied
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[Info] Bootstrap: Starting Sonarr - /opt/NzbDrone/NzbDrone.exe - Version 2.0.0.5252 
[Info] AppFolderInfo: Data directory is being overridden to [/config] 
[Trace] DiskProviderBase: Directory '/config' isn't writable. Access to the path "/config/sonarr_write_test.txt" is denied. 
[Fatal] ConsoleApp: EPIC FAIL! 
[v2.0.0.5252] NzbDrone.Common.Exceptions.SonarrStartupException: Sonarr failed to start: AppFolder /config is not writable
  at NzbDrone.Common.EnvironmentInfo.AppFolderFactory.Register () [0x0007c] in C:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Common\EnvironmentInfo\AppFolderFactory.cs:50 
  at NzbDrone.Host.Bootstrap.Start (NzbDrone.Common.EnvironmentInfo.StartupContext startupContext, NzbDrone.Host.IUserAlert userAlert, System.Action`1[T] startCallback) [0x00050] in C:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Host\Bootstrap.cs:36 
  at NzbDrone.Console.ConsoleApp.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00029] in C:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Console\ConsoleApp.cs:37 
Press enter to exit...
Non-recoverable failure, waiting for user intervention...

Command used to create container:

$ docker create --name sonarr -p 8989:8989 -e PUID=1000 -e PGID=1000 -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -v /leech/docker/sonarr:/config -v /leech/Shows:/tv -v /leech/Downloads:/downloads linuxserver/sonarr

I have full ownership of the host folders:

$ ll /leech
total 0
drwxrwxr-x. 3 filebox filebox 20 Nov 7 18:04 docker
drwxrwxr-x. 2 filebox filebox 6 Nov 7 16:48 Downloads
drwxrwxr-x. 2 filebox filebox 6 Nov 7 16:48 Shows

id:

$ id
uid=1000(filebox) gid=1000(filebox) groups=1000(filebox),10(wheel),1001(docker)

Can someone please tell me whats going wrong as ive really exhausted my troubleshooting skills.

What is the OS? It seems docker cannot write to the location as even the chown fails.

Is that location a local path or remote?

Fedora 29. Im using docker installed from the fedora repo as the docker-ce is not available yet.

Its a local path.

I just found out that docker is creating the volume as root if the host folder does not exist. I made sure the /leech/docker/sonarr folder was removed and created the container with the command. The folder was created and it was owned by root. Any way i can fix this?

Docker runs as root (it should at least) and will create folders as root. Our container runs a script during start to change ownership of those folders to puid selected. In your case, for some reason, docker is not able to do so.

I suspect it’s an issue with your docker build. What is the docker version?

docker version
Client:
Version: 1.13.1
API version: 1.26
Package version: docker-1.13.1-62.git9cb56fd.fc29.x86_64
Go version: go1.11beta2
Git commit: accfe55-unsupported
Built: Wed Jul 25 18:54:07 2018
OS/Arch: linux/amd64

Server:
Version: 1.13.1
API version: 1.26 (minimum version 1.12)
Package version: docker-1.13.1-62.git9cb56fd.fc29.x86_64
Go version: go1.11beta2
Git commit: accfe55-unsupported
Built: Wed Jul 25 18:54:07 2018
OS/Arch: linux/amd64
Experimental: false

Im using docker installed from the fedora official repos.

That’s a really old build. I recommend installing from the official docker repo.

I guess ill wait for a docker-ce repo for fedora 29. Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.