Plex Media Server in Linux Docker Container Stops Responding After Some Time

Server Version#: 1.40.2.8395

I’ve been running Plex Media Server in a Docker container for some time now.
Docker image = lscr.io/linuxserver/plex:latest
This is running on an Ubuntu server.
I have a HDHomerun Tuner on my network that Plex uses for Live TV viewing/recording (over ethernet, not connected to the server).

It has been fine for months, but in the past few weeks the PMS server seems to stop responding. I can’t get to the web interface, so I can’t see what it’s doing. The Docker container logs don’t seem to show much.
As an example yesterday it wasn’t responding after being up for about 24 hours. So it looks to have started at 07:00 on 14th May, and then in Docker logs I can see the following message
15/05/2024 06:58:24 Connection to 176.58.109.167 closed by remote host.
I didn’t check until 10:44 when I restarted the Docker container.

I’ve checked again today and it’s not responding. The Docker container is up, and I can see PMS is still running in the container, but it doesn’t seem to respond on the web interface or on my Plex app on my phone.

I’ve already used the PlexDBRepair script to check and clean the database. It didn’t find any issues though.

What can I do to investigate the issue further inside the Docker container?
Maybe I can try restarting the PMS service in the container to see if it recovers, and then work from there?

Thanks

Hi,

You should try to restart the Plex Media Server service inside the Docker container without restarting the entire container. First, enter the container’s shell:

docker exec -it <container_name> /bin/bash

Then, restart the Plex service:

supervisorctl restart plex

Check if PMS becomes responsive after this.

High CPU or memory usage could cause PMS to become unresponsive. Monitor the resource usage of the Docker container:

docker stats <container_name>

I hope this will help you.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks that’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I’ll give those a try and see what happens