PMS: failure detected. Read/write access is required for path: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

Hi, I’m trying to migrate my Plex server into a container. I have my config files on my NAS and have mounted a volume in the plex container using NFS.

I get the following error: PMS: failure detected. Read/write access is required for path: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

If I bash into the container I have read/write access to all the files so I can’t understand why it thinks there isn’t RW access.

This is my compose file:

version: “2”
services:
plex:
image: linuxserver/plex
container_name: plex
network_mode: host
environment:
- PUID=1000
- PGID=1000
- VERSION=docker
- UMASK_SET=022 #optional
volumes:
- plexconfig:/config
- media-nas:/home/nathan/media-nas
- media-internal:/home/nathan/media
restart: unless-stopped
devices:
- /dev/dri:/dev/dri
volumes:
plexconfig:
driver_opts:
type: “nfs”
o: “addr=xxxxxx.home,rw”
device: “:/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/plex”
media-nas:
driver_opts:
o: “addr=xxxxx,rw”
device: “:/xxxxx/Media”
media-internal:
driver_opts:
o: “addr=xxxxx-xxxxx.home,rw”
device: “:/xxxxx/xxxx/media”

Don’t put the config folder on an nfs mount. It breaks sqlite

I am trying to provide volumes over network shares as I am going to set up swarm access. (First attempt at orchestration). I want my containers to be able to run on any node in my cluster but for that to work the volumes have to be available to all nodes.

Is there an alternative to NFS that is known to work? e.g. SMB? I’m also trying to avoid the complexity of a distributed file system such as GlusterFS at this stage. Thanks!

we do not support the config folder or anything with sqlite over network shares.

as a side note, when you bash into the container, were you the user ‘abc’ or root?

I think I was root.

Thanks, I have abandoned that idea for now. I did not realise network shares would be so problematic.

It can work, you just have to know quite a bit about nfs. With varying systems types it becomes difficult for us to support it. I imagine your issue was that the abc user lacked permissions, during your test, root worked, but root has a lot more permissions :smiley: