Questions about Nextcloud updates

Hello all, I guess I’ve been running the LSIO Nextcloud for 2 or 3 months now at least, and have finally been arsed to get my Calendar and Contacts in there as well. I apologize if the following questions are too newbish, but frankly I am a newb at docker / LSIO images as I haven’t been running either for very long.

Lately, it keeps pinging me about Nextcloud updates, and I know that in the Nextcloud UI I can have it update itself. I was just wondering if that was a “proper” thing to do when you’re running Nextcloud as a docker container, as up to this point I’ve just been waiting for LSIO to update the image, since I have a script that runs a pull / up -d with docker compose. I wanted to make sure that letting Nextcloud update itself wasn’t going to break the image or something, or see if it was a better idea to just wait for image updates.

Secondly, I was curious how (if at all) you all were going to handle the upgrade to Nextcloud 18, where they’ve rolled out Nextcloud Hub. I didn’t know if you’d do a new image entirely for that, if the existing image would be updated to it, or if you just wouldn’t implement it at all and leave that to the official images. I have a couple of things like a grocery list I keep for the family in Google Drive, and I was curious to try out the similar functionality in Nextcloud 18.

Thanks

Nextcloud is one of very few apps where we recommend gui updates. It’s outlined in the readme: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-nextcloud#application-setup

Nextcloud Hub is really a marketing gimmick. All they did was create a plugin that attempts to pull in a binary to run onlyoffice server. But it’s a half-assed attempt that only works in an ubuntu environment and only on x86_64 (our container is alpine based, therefore the plugin does not work). Other than that, it’s just nextcloud, nothing else is different.

You’re much better off setting up a separate onlyoffice or collabora container and put their address into nextcloud config.

Thanks for the info. I successfully ran the upgrade, but I am getting a warning in the Admin console wanting me to convert some columns to bigint now, which I’m given to understand would be accomplished by putting Nextcloud into maintenance mode and then running:

sudo -u abc php occ db:convert-filecache-bigint

The (probably stupid) follow up question I have now is where I’d run that from. I gather you would normally connect to Nextcloud via ssh (nextcloud.domain.com:22), which does prompt me for credentials, but I’ve tried a few different things and didn’t know what the password for abc was.

Should I use the SSH method or try and execute the commands with docker exec -it nextcloud ?

If using SSH what’s the password for abc?

More oddly, Nextcloud upgraded to 17.0.3, but the newest image from linuxserver.io is version 18 something I think. I’m wondering why I’m not getting that when I do a pull with docker compose? Maybe :latest doesn’t work the way I think it does. If I wanted to upgrade to version 18 what would be the correct way to go about it without hosing my data? :slight_smile:

Do docker exec and run from inside the container. Nextcloud container doesn’t have an ssh server. You’re likely attempting to ssh into the host machine.

Web updates are made available by nextcloud in waves. It will be available to you at some point.

The image comes with v18, but it’s only installed if there is no existing install (ie. brand new install)

Thanks. I think I got it sorted out.

When I ran each command, I got something in the console like:
sudo: setrlimit(RLIMIT_CORE): Operation not permitted
but everything still seemed to work OK.