Reconfigure Calibre Web database and files location to external drive

Hello everybody,

I installed ubuntu server minimalistic on a small thin client and added an additional usb-drive/stick.
My setup is → ubuntu server->portainer->linuxserver.io Calibre Web Docker container and I used the exact same Docker CLI script instead of compose as in the documentation:

docker run -d
–name=calibre-web
-e PUID=1000
-e PGID=1000
-e TZ=Etc/UTC
-e DOCKER_MODS=linuxserver/mods:universal-calibre #optional
-e OAUTHLIB_RELAX_TOKEN_SCOPE=1 #optional
-p 8083:8083
-v /path/to/data:/config
-v /path/to/calibre/library:/books
–restart unless-stopped
lscr.io/linuxserver/calibre-web:latest

I got Calibre Web running and I can load login into the Calibre Web Dashboard via my browser and select a possible location of the Calibre database as a next step.

However due to limitation of space for my linux installation on linux drive sda I would like to load the Calibre database including ebooks from the attached usb-drive (linux: sdb) which is having appro. 60GB free space instead, please see screenshot:

How should I configure linux, portainer and the container+script for the external usb drive to be accessible from my Calibre Web Dashboard?

Regards

I was able to mount the external usb drive as a volume group in Portainer:

However, if I click in the Calibre Web Dashboard to select Calibre database it looks it is still referencing to my small linux sda partition/mount point instead the the large sdb (external usb drive):

Choose File Location

type name size
app
bin
books
boot
command
config
defaults
dev
etc
home
lib
lib32
lib64
libx32
lsiopy
media
mnt
opt
package
proc
root
run
sbin
srv
sys
tmp
usr
var

What should I do ?

I will start by saying that we neither support nor recommend portainer for deploying containers.
I will add your paths look a bit ridiculous…

-v /path/to/data:/config
-v /path/to/calibre/library:/books

anyway, if you want to move things to an external drive, it would be something like the below.

-v /mnt/externaldrive:/books

Good to know, but I already started with portainer and would like to get a solution therefore.

Should the exact script command “-v /mnt/externaldrive:/books” be in my case “-v /mnt/sdb:/books” ?

How can I copy the files (ebooks) including the Calibre database to the external usb drive/stick, if I can’t access the mountpoint from Windows OS to copy the files, as the volume mounted by linux is mostly not formated or only in ext4 ?

try and see! It looks like basically what i told you to do (though you’re missing a partition number)

We don’t offer support for user’s hosts, we support the container. You copy files however you would normally do so and you’ll need to ensure you maintain permissions. You’re more than welcome to seek best-effort help on discord in our #other-support channel for that.