[Request] mtv_dl

Hello everyone,

I created a repository which wraps the mtv_dl python package in a linuxserver style repo. It is a tool to download tv shows from german public broadcasting services.

Here is the link: GitHub - Entepotenz/unofficial_linuxserver_mtvdl: unofficial linuxserver image for mtvdl

How can I contribute this to linuxserver.io?

Best regards
Entepotenz

Hi! Great work and we’re happy you were able to make something you like and find useful by starting with our base images! I hope you continue to make things and have fun!

• A general note, we do not tend to accept container contributions from non-members. It’s too much effort to support in general.
  • In addition to the above an application that directly downloads things is not something that really fits into what we or our sponsors would be comfortable with.

Hey thanks for the fast and nice response.

A general note, we do not tend to accept container contributions from non-members. It’s too much effort to support in general.

Does it make sense to get a member? Is there any other way I can support the project?

In addition to the above an application that directly downloads things is not something that really fits into what we or our sponsors would be comfortable with.

Do not worry this is perfectly legal. :slight_smile:

At the end it turns out that I do not need this image at all because the linuxserver project is so advanced that you can get this working by using the baseimage in combination with those two docker mods:

I love it :heart: :slight_smile:

For people coming from google. This is my setup for now:

docker run --rm -it \
    -e PUID=$PUID \
    -e PGID=$PGID \
    -e DOCKER_MODS="linuxserver/mods:universal-package-install|linuxserver/mods:universal-cron" \
    -e INSTALL_PIP_PACKAGES=mtv_dl \
    -v /host/path/config:/config \
    -v /host/path/data:/data ghcr.io/linuxserver/baseimage-alpine:3.18

Then just configure the cronjob with maybe this command:

mtv_dl download --dir="/data" --high --target="{dir}/{topic}/[{topic} {date}] {title}{ext}" --sets="/config/tatort.txt"

If you want to compress the videos to other format (like x265) you can add this env to install ffmpeg and run it after the download cronjob:

-e INSTALL_PACKAGES=ffmpeg
1 Like

PRs to our existing projects that make sense and follow our logic, helping out in discord, etc are great ways to support us.

It’s not about legality (which surely you understand that you can’t blindly say it’s legal for the entire world), it’s about perception.