Updating nextcloud

I’ve used Nextcloud for quite a while and updated it more times than I can count, but never had this issue.

Got a notification yesterday there’s an update, but when I click the updater, it goes to a NC page that says there’s a 404. It gives me the option to download a zip file, but I’ve never updated this way… I can reach Nextcloud via my domain name which is reverse proxy’d through swag… so I know NC is online. Same thing happens if I try to upgrade locally via NC’s ip:port. I repulled NC this morning to make sure I had the latest image, and I do.

Thanks

We changed how our nextcloud container works in v27. You now need to change your tag/update the image if you want to move through versions.

All info here: Notification: Changes to our Nextcloud image | Info :: LinuxServer.io

Thanks for the answer… but this seems like a backwards change that just complicates matter.

Anyway, so I changed the image tag on my nextcloud compose to the new version (27.0.2) now, for whatever reason, I get a mariadb error when I try to redeploy.

failed to pull images of the stack: nextcloud Pulling mariadb Pulling mariadb Pulled nextcloud Error Error response from daemon: manifest unknown 

paste code here

My compose file

version: "2.2"
services:
  nextcloud:
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud:version-27.0.2
    container_name: nextcloud
    network_mode: swag_default
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=100
    volumes:
      - /NAS/AppData/nextcloud:/config
      - /NAS/AppData/nc-data:/data
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    depends_on:
      - mariadb
    ports:
      - 450:443
    restart: unless-stopped
  mariadb:
    image: ghcr.io/linuxserver/mariadb:latest
    container_name: nextclouddb
    network_mode: swag_default 
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=100
      - MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=deleted
    volumes:
      - /NAS/AppData/nextclouddb:/config
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    restart: unless-stopped

Going to take a guess but are you running an arm device with a 32bit OS?

Negative. 64bit PC.

ah, looks like 27.0.2 hasn’t been built yet Releases · linuxserver/docker-nextcloud · GitHub

For whatever reason, nextcloud have published it on OTA but not on their github (ignoring the rc releases) Releases · nextcloud/server · GitHub

Jeez… I feel like an idiot. NC has usually been always ready for updates. Didn’t even think to look if LS had put out a new image yet.

I don’t care for this change, I think it needlessly complicates matters, especially something like NC…

Is what it is.

Thanks for the help.

the change wasn’t for people who can read, it was made for unraid users. Take a look at our discord threads at how many unraid users have borked nextcloud setups. this is to ease OUR burden, not yours. Though it will immensely help many unraid users.

Seems like you were probably one of the few users that would keep their version of Nextcloud maintained correctly :sweat_smile:

We decided to make the change to streamline the updates (as mentioned by driz) 80% of our support requests were how to update a container and users not following updates (some were even still on v19 at the point of v27 being released)

1 Like

Fair enough, but it sounds like you’ve inconvenienced/made things more difficult on a bunch of people, to accommodate a few on Unraid who didn’t understand how to keep their systems update.

I will say, it wasn’t specifically unraid users, Primarily any user that used an auto update system (unraid/watchtower etc)

unfortunately, it is far more than a few unraid users… but you are right, it will inconvenience some users, especially those who were using release candidates rather than official releases.

It might be something we can look to address, but I would not put an ETA on that

Yeah, I get it… I just think it’s a silly change. Seems like this change was made to address server admin issues.

(and yes, If I’m going to keep something open to the Internet, I keep it regularly updated).

it’s worth also noting that nextcloud (and plex) are our few containers with a different upgrade process, this change also brings NC in line with how 99% of our containers work, but again, i get the displeasure with the change, it negatively affects me too, though I’m not a big users of NC

Yeah… If I’m sounding critical, it’s not really intended. I’ve always had pretty good luck with LS containers and NC has been no exception. As said above… I keep anything I have facing the Internet regularly updated, NC no exception,.

I never had issues before, so I guess that’s why this change kinda irks me (don’t use Plex, so can’t really speak on it)

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I’ll be honest… I just done my first update like this. I’m not happy at all. I have never had issues upgrading NC… this time… I redeployed my compose… NC is failing to start… Log isn’t showing anything.

I check my config.php, it’s now completely blank…

I’ll check this in the morning but it looks like this has caused me quite a freaking mess

the official container does it the same way now, so it’s not really something to be changed.

I can tell you that thousands, if not more, have no problems.

Well, like I said… I’ve never had an issue updating nextcloud before, until this.

I guess I’ll figure it out in the AM

Yeah, finally got the container reinstalled, and it’s telling me NC is not installed… Bashed into the container, none of my settings are there, config.php is empty…

Well, thankfully, I keep thorough backups and actually had jus backed up all my stuff Sunday afternoon, so I lost nothing.

First, I tried to just delete my containers and redeploy my compose. That didn’t work as it reported my container needed to be configured… so somehow this nuked my data folders as well (config for nextcloud and mariadb, and then my nextcloud data folder)

So I deleted the containers.

Restored those 3 folders from my backup back to their proper position

Redeployed NC, and it appears all is right in the world again.

This is still pretty disheartening however.