Versions, Updates and Consistency

I wanted to share my recent experience with LSIO versioning systems and how I updated them using RenovateBot. I’m really hoping to get some friendly guidance and insights from the community.

I had a bit of a challenge figuring out that there are different versioning systems in use, and they all have their own unique purposes. Just look at these tags I stumbled upon:

1.2.3.456-ls789
1.2.3-ls213
v1.2.3
v1.2.3-ls213
version-1.2.3
version-1.2.3-ls180
version-1.2.3.300.11111
nigthly-1.2.3
nightly-1.2.3.3604-ls587
nightly-version-1.2.3.1234
nightly-1.2.3.1234-ls123
1.2.3-development
1.2.3-develop
1.2.3-nigthly
nightly
develop
latest

I totally get why we’re in this situation with different versions for various apps, images, upstreams, etc.

My issue is that I’d really like to update from a stable image to the next one, and to do that, I’ve been using RenovateBot. But the poor bot seems to be struggling with all these nightlies and numbers.

So, here’s my friendly question: How do you folks go about checking and updating to new images? (By the way, using :latest and watchtower isn’t quite what I’m looking for.) And, I’m curious, is there a plan to make the versioning systems across LSIO images a bit more user-friendly and consistent?

Thanks!

We have a lot of thoughts written down in this blogpost.

I saw this post, Im still wondering: How do you folks go about checking and updating to new images?

Most of us use diun. It is mentioned in the readme of every container we make.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.