Missed a Nextcloud version and now I can access files - How to update file version?

So I’m at a loss. Apparently I missed version 26, and then I decided to update without realizing that because my files were on version 25, version 27 would not function. So I am getting the error in the logs saying that my file version is too old. I’ve found several sites, including here on linuxserver.io, that talk about pulling the images and changing the version somehow. I have tried to follow those instructions, to no avail.

I have to say I’m a bit frustrated that the ability to roll back has been taken out of the application. This wouldn’t be an issue, of course, except for the fact that simultaneously I have an app that won’t read files that are 2 versions old. You put those two things together and it is making my life a little difficult. But I also want to learn and get smarter/better at this sort of thing, so I really just need some help…

So here is my question: Does anyone have a step-by-step instruction list on how to get my v25 files to work on v27, or how to roll back to v 26 momentarily so that I can upgrade? I have learned how to pull the v26 image using the terminal, but once the image is pulled, I am at a loss.

I know more than many in Linux, but am still really basic in my knowledge of terminal commands, so I really just need this step by step, with examples.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

I found this set of instructions (Notification: Changes to our Nextcloud image | Info :: LinuxServer.io), but I guess I’m not quite understanding how to switch image tags? I’ve tried, but no matter what I do, it still says that it is version 27 in the logs, even if I put version 26 in the config file. Maybe I’m not putting it in the correct config file? I struggle with understanding which files are which in the file structure, as I keep thinking I’ve changed the image version, but I am not successful. I guess my knowledge-base is too basic to understand or follow that list of instructions.

Thank you - I had actually already found that post/page, but I am having issues following the instructions? You posted that while I was adding to my original post. Sorry!

Probably best to tell us how you’ve deployed your nextcloud container so we can suggest what to do.

I am on an Unraid server: 64GB of Ram, dual Xeon e5-2690v4 CPUSs, Supermicro MoBo. Appdata is on twin NVME SSDs in Raid. I originally used the Docker Hub and installed LinuxServer’s Nextcloud that way, using MariaDB.

Stealing this from someone in our discord who just asked the same question, you add the tag onto the end of the repository field like so:

So I don’t have to use terminal? Could it be as easy as it looks like from that screenshot? I will try it immediately!

So that worked, kinda. I don’t see the files error in the logs anymore, but I’m getting a http 500 error when I try and hit the site through my reverse proxy. I also have the following error in the log, which seems to be along the same lines:

Change the image to lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud:version-26.0.2
open the container console and run docker exec -it nextcloud updater.phar
rerun that command until you are on 27
Change the image to lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud:latest

Also review the other instructions on the info post, there’s other things in there like updating your nginx confs. Once you’re on 27 using the latest image all future updates should be automatic.

When I try and run docker exec from the container console, I get the following error. Can I run it from the root terminal in UnRaid?

Sorry! You are correct! Run that command from the unRAID root terminal.

It says no update available? Should I set the repository back to just nextcloud (instead of a specific version) BEFORE I run the exec command?

Ok, so I think I just messed it up. BADLY.

I decided to try and go back to 25.0.4 because that is what the files were, and during the pull down the docker said the installation failed and now the Nextcloud container is missing from the list. Sigh. I wish I knew more about this kinda stuff. I know just enough to get myself in a lot of trouble.

EDIT: I was able to go back into the Docker, “Add Container,” find the template, and then set the repository to “lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud” (no version) and it came back.

So at least I’m back where I started. Kinda.

Funny I just posted about this an unriad users were listed as one of the reasons for doing this… and now I see this…lol.

I followed the instructions about the .conf files that was on that one webpage, but I am still getting a http 500 error when I try to reach my server, and my logs are showing the same issue:

Should I just rename the config.php file and that ssl.conf file and re-do the whole reverse proxy stuff from scratch?

i would not recommend renaming (or otherwise removing) your config.php

it should be safe to rename or remove the ssl.conf

then restart the container and see if there’s anything in the container logs.

Thank you all for your help - I had to take the weekend off for some family stuff. So, now, whenever I start the Nextcloud container, the error I got in my browser was an internal server error. So I went back to the docker, and noticed that whenever the Nextcloud docker starts, the MariaDB container stops. It’s like I fix one issue and find two more. I’m about a millimeter away from just trashing both MariaDB AND Nextcloud.

This is the error I am now seeing in the MariaDB logs. For reference, I am running the MariaDB-Official docker instance.

try this… you’re not using our container, so i can’t promise it’ll help, but it should.